Sylvan Learning is currently hiring a part-time tutor whose primary responsibility is to teach. Our Sylvan Tutors are responsible for fostering an engaging and personal learning experience for every student. We are looking for passionate educators who want to make a difference in kids' lives! We make it easy to focus on each student’s success by removing the lesson planning and preparation classroom teaching requires.
If you thrive on seeing that moment when a child learns something new and their face lights up with excitement this position is perfect for you! Or if have you been frustrated with your inability to dig deeper into the needs of each of your students due to the pace and size of your classroom, this position will fit the bill!
Our part-time Sylvan Tutors will be trained on the Sylvan curriculum and given the tools to teach in small groups - mostly 3-4 students per tutor. We provide personalized instruction in Reading, Math, Writing, Study Skills, SAT/ACT Prep, and homework support.
As a successful Sylvan Tutor your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Being passionate about teaching at Sylvan and bringing that passion to work every day!
- Delivering a quality education using Sylvan’s digitally based personalized learning plans and proprietary curriculum
- Supervising, interacting with, and motivating students (using Sylvan’s proven motivational program) while working on lessons that adapt to the student's individual skill level and pace, making learning challenging and fun, never frustrating.
- Providing students with instant feedback and recognition
- Managing the conclusion of each instructional session and managing the completion of learning log and transition activities
- Communicating specific student needs to Center staff
- Attending periodic staff meetings and completing ongoing training as needed
- Completing certification training on Sylvan programs, as needed
- One of the following depending on the course(s) being taught: Bachelor’s degree in Education or equivalent experience, teaching certificate/credentials, or sophomores or higher currently enrolled in a four-year program as an education major.
- General knowledge of office and computer skills
- Strong interpersonal and communications skill
- Willingness to learn and provide support, as needed to ensure all students and families receive the highest level of customer service
What you get in return:
- No Lesson Planning!
- Flexible hours
- Competitive hourly rates
- An environment that supports tutors and children equally allowing all to achieve at their highest level! And have fun doing it!
This position is perfect for former teachers who still have a passion for developing young minds, college students working toward their degree in teaching and want to get a jump start on bringing out the best in kids, current teachers looking for a flexible schedule that allows you to focus solely on teaching without the extra paperwork and lesson planning.
If you want to be a part of an inspired organization that believes in fostering knowledge and confidence in children, improving the lives of thousands of families every day - apply today!
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be a complete list of all job responsibilities or skills, knowledge and abilities required.
*If you wish to submit a resume or a brief career statement of your experience, you may upload it here. Resume or statement should be in Microsoft Word or a PDF, if provided.