The Importance of Algebra
May 05, 2017
Algebra is commonly referred to as the “gatekeeper subject.” This is especially true in middle school years, when the challenges of adolescence can begin to rise, and when falling off track with school performance can greatly affect future success.
A report released by the National Center for Education Statistics
notes that the “earlier a student proceeds successfully through Algebra...the more opportunities he or she has for reaching higher level mathematics courses in high school and completion of higher-level mathematics courses is related to higher likelihood of entering a 4-year college or university.”
When you begin to consider that your child’s collegiate success is intertwined with their future professional success, then the true importance of Algebra begins to appear.
Here at your Sylvan Learning Center of the Rio Grande Valley
, we have the perfect tools—like our Math Edge Algebra program—to help students build a solid math foundation for future learning. With clear instructions, interactive lessons, and motivating tutors, your child is sure to learn and love Algebra.
Ready. Start. Algebra!
- In many states throughout the nation, including Texas, students are required to take at least three years of mathematics.
- High school students must earn credit in Algebra I.
- By 2011, nearly half (47%) of all eighth graders in the nation took Algebra or a more advanced course.
- With a national trend of towards more challenging high school graduation requirements, failing Algebra I is a marker that a student is at significant risk of not completing high school.
- Students who have passed Algebra I their eighth or ninth grade year have more academic options throughout high school and can graduate—sometimes with higher honors.
- Algebra is one of the first subjects to help children develop logical thinking.
- In most universities, Algebra is a part of the core curriculum and a passing grade is a prerequisite for other college science courses such as physics, chemistry, engineering courses, and computer science courses.
- Algebra is used in a wide variety of jobs and career fields, including banking, financial planning, accounting, civil engineering, architecture, medicine, nursing, education, computer coding, computer science, and more.
Algebra is more than just another class to pass. The skills learned in Algebra I, from understanding variables to development of abstract reasoning skills, will echo through your child’s life and into their career.
Studies continue to emerge that prove Algebra is the key to success in the 21st century. With the fields of technology, engineering, mathematics, medicine, and education ever growing, your child’s future can truly benefit from having a solid foundation on fundamental Algebraic concepts.
With Algebra, your children can open their future to endless possibilities. From our Sylvan Math Edge to our math mastery programs, your child will learn the skills they need to see soar with new found confidence and ability.
We cannot stress enough how having a good math foundation is so important for developing higher-level thinking skills and for being successful in science, math, and technology. At Sylvan, our programs are designed to match your children’s needs with college and career readiness standards.
Your child won’t just learn everything they need to for school, they’ll also be prepared for the challenges they’ll face ahead in other math courses.
Skills that students can learn with our Sylvan Math programs and Math Edge including:
- Determining rational expressions
- Multiplying and dividing Algebraic expressions
- Translating phrases into numerical or Algebraic expressions
- Solving equations with one or more variables
- Graphing points from positive input-output values on a table
- Translating word problems equations
- Determining slope
- And so much more!
Our Sylvan tutors understand your child’s need for personal and meaningful tutoring and attention. Plus, they are great motivators who can engage students with a number of strategies and rewards.
So when your child is ready to rock Algebra, look to Sylvan Learning Center. Our tutoring programs get results and will help your child improve in the academic area they most need assistance in.