Tried-and-True Strategies to Ace the SAT or ACT
Jun 07, 2017
Articles Featured in Our Robbinsville Magazine 2017
SAT, ACT, oh my! While students may still be deciding whether to take the SAT, ACT, or both, there are some tried and true strategies that they should use to ace either one come test day! With trusty No. 2 pencil in hand, these simple tips will help students tackle test day with confidence.
Use Process of Elimination.
If students have difficulty with a question, they should quickly get rid of any answer choices that they feel cannot possibly be correct and make a guess from the remaining answers.
Never leave an answer blank.
If students cannot eliminate any of the answer choices, or if they feel it would take too long to answer the question, make a random guess. Neither the SAT or ACT penalizes students for wrong answers, so even a guess has a 1 in 4 chance of being correct.
Watch out for the dreaded “I’m one off” syndrome.
Students should periodically check their answer sheet to make sure they have not misplaced an answer.
General Preparation Tips
• Check calculator batteries the night before the test. Replace batteries that are more than a month old.
• Prepare a “Go Bag” that includes the following items:
• No. 2 pencils
• Water and a snack
• A watch
• Eat a good dinner the night before and a good breakfast the day of the test.
• Get a good night’s sleep.
• Arrive at the test center with time to spare.
• For the SAT, arrive no later than 7:45 a.m. The doors to the testing room close at about 8 a.m. and testing starts between 8:30 and 9:00.
• For the ACT, students should arrive by 8 a.m. Testing will begin after all students are checked in.
Mark and Amy Kance are the owners/ directors of the Sylvan Learning in Hamilton Township, NJ. Sylvan Learning is the leading provider of personalized tutoring to students of all ages, grades and skill levels. With almost 40 years of experience and open 6 days/week, Sylvan’s State and Sylvan certified teachers provide personalized instruction in math, reading, writing, study skills, science, 1:1 SAT & ACT prep and homework help. For more information, call (609) 588-9037 or visit www.SylvanLearning.com.